Competition is about tempo. You must force competitors to react to you and adapt to market change fast. Simulation testing with Clojure and Datomic can accelerate your pace. Here’s why.
Clojure is an open-source language that simplifies software development. Datomic adds powerful features to your existing data stores. Used together as part of your continuous delivery pipeline, they give your company virtual superpowers to build features and test them quickly at a fraction of the cost.
Simulation testing is faster and more powerful when used with Clojure + Datomic. Here’s what you can do with this dynamic duo:
1. Predict the future. Identify costly system defects before they hit your revenue stream. Clojure and Datomic allow you to build systems that simulate hours of use in minutes, deploying intelligent user agents that mimic hundreds of thousands of user sessions in a short time and with extraordinary accuracy. So you’ll find bugs long before you lose orders, revenue and customers.
2. Think simple. Applications written in Clojure are smaller than they would be in other programming languages. (Think 10 times less code.) That means you can build faster and with higher quality because fewer lines of code ensures bugs have less room to creep in. Datomic brings the same simplicity to data storage. It’s a welcome breath of fresh air after decades of increasingly complex relational databases.
3. Innovate in a flash. When you need to launch features in days, the last thing you need is to be held back by your QA department or your testing infrastructure. Using Clojure and Datomic with simulation testing, updating your tests takes a fraction of the time required for Java-based test scripts. With those tools, something as simple as adding a field to a web page can require you to edit dozens or hundreds of scripts. With Clojure simulation tests, the change goes in one place, eliminating effort and the risk of bugs in your tests.
4. Time travel. Compare a test that simulates a flash mob to the results you got on a normal day in the past. Or, test your Black Friday loads before Halloween. Datomic is immutable, so data is never erased or overwritten. So you can check old test results for newly discovered bugs. Add Clojure to test as you build, and you’ll get a remarkably accurate and predictive view of the impact of different variables, such as a sale or product-line shift in your e-commerce system. Tests and test results are stored, so your database gains value the more you use it.
5. Outpace your competitors. Use the speed and simplicity of Clojure and Datomic to build and test applications in days that would take your competitors months with other tools. Room Key, a lean start-up in the highly competitive marketplace of online travel booking, uses simulation testing to speed the development of innovative features that generate and convert sales leads faster.
We work with a wide range of companies – from start-ups to major retailers – that use simulation testing with Clojure and Datomic to accelerate innovation and bring applications to market quickly and economically.
Pick up the tempo of your application development process with a handful of superpowers that give you the speed and agility you need to outpace your competitors and force them to respond to you. You can test drive Datomic Pro Starter Edition at no cost. It’s the best way to get started with Datomic for small-production deployments.
Michael T. Nygard is Vice President at Cognitect, whose products and services allow companies to build applications and move data securely to the cloud with ease, speed and few resources. He also served as technical director for Verizon Business, leading its “Innovation Incubator” team in its heyday. He has authored and contributed to books about applying technology to reduce effort, boost productivity and optimize financial outcomes. He is a regular speaker at QCon, GOTO and No Fluff Just Stuff conferences.